Running for Office
This page is to provide some basic information for those interested in running for office in Cobb County. For State level races, please see the Secretary of State's Website www.sos.ga.gov/elections and click on Candidate Info.
NOTE: 2018 Information will be added as soon as it becomes available.
You will officially declare your intention to run by completing a form and paying a fee during the following times. The process is called "Qualifying".
Starting Date: Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:00am
Ending Date: Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:00noon
Accepting Campaign Donations
Many laws regulating the acceptance of campaign contributions are governed by the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission. Please visit their Website before accepting any donations.
Offices on the Ballot in 2018
Click here for a list of Offices to be Elected in 2018
Requirements for Qualifying
Various offices have different requirements for those who wish to run. It is the applicant's responsibility to determine what the qualifications are and that they are met. Click here for information www.sos.ga.gov/elections. County offices such as Chief Magistrate may have additional requirements. If so, they can be found in the online Cobb County Code: library.municode.com
Qualifying Fees (2016)
Qualifying fees for County Offices only
Qualifying Locations (2016)
County level partisan offices will qualify at locations determined by the Cobb Republican Party or the Cobb Democratic Party. Nonpartisan judges will qualify at the Cobb Elections Office. State offices qualify at locations in Atlanta. Click here for more information.
List of Registered Voters
For information about ordering lists of registered voters in your district please visit the Secretary of State's Website www.sos.ga.gov/elections and click on Results & Stats.
O.C.G.A. § 16-7-58(a) prohibits you from erecting signs on public or private property if you do not have permission to do so. Please note that the offices of Cobb County Government, Cobb County School District, and Marietta City Schools have indicated that they do not give permission for any campaign signs on their property.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to place posters, signs, or advertisements:
- On any public property or building, unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; provided, however, that signs within the rights of way of public roads shall be governed by Code Section 32-6-51;
- On any private property unless the owner thereof or the occupier as authorized by such owner has given permission to place such posters, signs, or advertisements on such property; and, provided, further that no municipal, county, or consolidated government may restrict by regulation or other means the length of time a political campaign sign may be displayed or the number of signs which may be displayed on private property for which permission has been granted; or
- On any property zoned for commercial or industrial uses if the placement of such posters, signs, or advertisements conflicts with any zoning laws or ordinances.
O.C.G.A. § 21-2-414 prohibits campaign signs on Election Day, including those on vehicles and hand-held, within 150 feet of a polling place or 25 feet of voters standing in line to vote.
- No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign literature, newspaper, booklet, pamphlet, card, sign, paraphernalia, or any other written or printed matter of any kind, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition or conduct any exit poll or public opinion poll with voters on any day in which ballots are being cast:
- Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;
- Within any polling place; or
- Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place.
The following information is provided to help you research sign ordinances in Cobb County and the various cities.